Hurricane Irma Updates for Sanibel & Captiva Islands
Sep 07, 2017 01:56PM ● Published by Melanie Heisinger
Courtesy of NOAA NWS National Hurricane Center.
Resources:Keep up with general storm patterns and info here: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
For Sanibel storm info, head here: https://www.facebook.com/The-City-of-Sanibel-Florida-111109638929496/
From the City of Sanibel:
"THE CITY OF SANIBEL IS CLOSELY MONITORING CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE IRMA. THE CITY CONTINUES TO PREPARE FOR THE WORSE CASE SCENARIOS BASED UPON CURRENT TRACKING MODELS. EVERY SANIBEL RESIDENT, BUSINESS OWNER AND VISITOR SHOULD BE DOING THE SAME.
The Governor of the State of Florida and the Lee County Board of Commissioners, in which Sanibel Island is situated, have both declared states of emergency in anticipation of Hurricane Irma. Wednesday, September 6th, 2017 at noon, the Sanibel City Council unanimously approved a State of Emergency Declaration in anticipation of the storm.
Please click here to view the declaration (pdf 44.83 kB) .
Please click here to listen to the September 6, 2017 Emergency City Council Meeting
At this time the City of Sanibel has been advised of the following on-Island storm related closures:
- F.I.S.H of Sanibel-Captiva, Inc. at 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, September 06, 2017
- Wildlife Drive at 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 06, 2017
- Tarpon Bay Recreation at 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 06, 2017
- Sanibel School close Thursday, September 7th and Friday, September 8th
- Sanibel & Captiva Islands Chamber of Commerce at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, September 06, 2017
- City of Sanibel Recreation Center closes at end of business today, until further notice. All afterschool programs are closed.
- Community Housing & Resources (CHR). Please click here to view CHR notice (pdf 24.92 kB)
- Sanibel Public Library closed remainder of week
- City of Sanibel Center 4 Life is closed until further notice
Click here to access LeeAlert for iPhone
Click here to access LeeAlert for Android"
From the Sanibel Captiva Chamber of Commerce:
Businesses:From the Sanibel Public Library:
"Sanibel Public Library will be closed Thursday, September 7 through the rest of the week to prepare for the storm.
From the Sanibel Recreation Department:
"Recreation Department Closed. The City of Sanibel Recreation Center and Center 4 Life are closed today until further notice."
From The Community House Sanibel Community Association:
We hope everyone is safe out there while we weather this storm together.